Update on our COVID-19 Strategy
(Updated - Wednesday, April 1/20)
The Berkeley is committed to maintaining the health and safety of both residents and employees during this pandemic. In unprecedented times like these, we recognize the importance of working as a team, more now than ever, and we are ready to adapt to the rapidly changing circumstances. Our leadership team meets every morning via ZOOM followed by regular discussions throughout the day to stay informed about what is happening in each of our buildings as well as the local, national and global communities. Our position is fluid and we are making ongoing changes in anticipation of and in response to all suggested best practices to minimize the risk of spread of COVID-19. The Berkeley will continue to monitor the recommendations from the Public Health Agency of Canada, and local government agencies.
The following are measures we are currently taking to protect our residents and employees:
- We have closed our buildings to ALL visitors
- Employees and outside caregivers must pass a screening test and a temperature check before starting their workday
- Employees who normally go to multiple locations have been assigned to one building
- Outside caregivers are being asked to wear masks while with their clients
- Residents are only able to leave to go out for fresh air and exercise, and essential medical appointments.
- Residents are not to leave the property in a vehicle with anyone except for essential medical appointments
- Residents returning from hospital (or any overnight absence) will be quarantined for 14 days
- All residents and staff are monitored closely for any change in their health
- Employees receive regular reminders about hand hygiene, social distancing and protocols set out by the Provincial State of Emergency
- Employees who feel ill for any reason will be asked to stay home for up to 14 days depending on the situation
- Employees who have come into contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 will be required to stay home for 14 days
- Recreation programs have been moved to larger spaces and limits have been placed on group size to ensure appropriate social distancing
- Dining Room is shifting to a 2-seatings model for lunch and dinner to reduce numbers in the dining room at any given time (model approved by Public Health)
- Tray service is available for anyone who chooses to isolate themselves and will be mandatory for anyone who shows any signs of illness
- Housekeeping is sanitizing high touch surfaces and common areas regularly throughout the day
- Move-ins and move-outs are suspended until further notice
We would like to wish everyone well during this unsure and difficult time. We thank family for their support of the measures we are taking to keep residents safe. We ask that you help us to reinforce these measures for the safety of everyone. The best defense is that we work together to protect not only ourselves but each other. We are committed to protecting our residents and employees and will continue to monitor the recommendations from the Public Health Agency of Canada and local government agencies. We encourage everyone to stay informed by visiting https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/ for updates. Thank you for taking the time to read this message. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!